As the job market has become more project oriented, PMP certification, which is offered by the Project Management Institute (PMI), is necessary as it validates your knowledge, techniques and skills as a legitimate project management professional.
Candidates have to fulfil the criteria set by the Institute to be eligible for certification.
If your highest level of education is secondary school, then you must have:
- A secondary school degree,
- 5 years’ experience in projects,
- 7500 hours spent on coordinating projects,
- 35 hours spent on project management education.
If you have attended university or college,
- You should have a degree,
- 3 years working on projects,
- 4500 hours of project leadership,
- At least 35 hours educating yourself on project management.
The PMP certification process has several steps which are outlined and simplified below:
- Create an account on the PMI website.
- Check the ‘myPMI’ section to find the application form.
- Download the form, fill it with information such as name, contacts and address, education, education hours and experience. If applying online, complete the process in 90 days.
- Submit your application and wait to receive acceptance confirmation within a week.
- Book for the exam by paying exam fees. Non-members pay $555 to take PMP exams, while members enjoy a lower fee at $405.
- If asked to, provide proof (certificates) for PMI® Audit Process. Proof should be provided within 3 months.
- You will receive a refund if you fail the audit process. Refunds are also issued if applicants choose to withdraw from exams, but this should be done 30 days before expiration date for exam eligibility. The amount refunded will be less $100 processing costs.
- Schedule for examination on the PMI certification system. The date you select for the exam should be within a year of fee payment.
- Take the PMP exam, which should be completed in 4 hours and consist of 200 questions. To pass, you must answer 137 questions correctly. If you fail, you can retake the exams up to 3 times within 1 year.
- Get certified. You will be given a PMP® certificate if you pass. PMI® also gives a PMP® lapel pin upon request.
- Earn 60 PDUs and renew certificate every 3 years. Renewal fees for members is $60, while for non-members is $150. PDUs can be earned under the following two PMI-defined categories:
- Education activities. E.g reading or watching content on project management.
- Giving it back to profession. E.g offering training webinars